Abs are made in the kitchen as they say, but there are ways to strengthen your core in the gym! There’s nothing wrong with building a strong core and implementing exercises that benefit strength to make everyday activities easier. Having a strong core is sought after for many, find out what functional core training exercises to do to strengthen and tone your abdominal muscles and what functional core training benefits.
What are functional core workouts?
If being able to perform day-to-day activities more effectively is your goal, then functional core activities should be incorporated into your workout routine. Functional training can include more than just the abdominal muscles, the whole body can be involved. The development of multiple muscle groups is possible and can lead to an increase in quality of life.
Functional core training exercises
To make your everyday life easier, mimic motions and movements that would be done in your typical day-to-day. These movements include squats, lifting heavy weights and reaching. There are many different functional training workouts to implement, but for core, there are a specific few that get the best results.
This exercise trains your core as well as your glutes and thighs.
1. Starting position on your back with bent knees and feet on the ground hip-width apart.
2. Engage core and glutes.
3. Raise hips until knees are even with shoulders and hold for 30 seconds.
Lifting your upper body in this exercise works your core muscles.
1. Staring position is on your back, then put your feet on the ground at hip-width apart.
2. Engage your core and tuck your chin while lifting your upper back. Remember to keep your lower back, pelvis and feet on the floor.
3. Return to starting position and repeat the exercise.
Planks are a full-body exercise that strengthens your arms and core.
1. Start with your hands under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
2. Straighten your legs so they are behind you and keep your feet hip-width apart.
3. Engage your core and hold for 30 seconds.
Functional core training benefits
When building a stronger core your actually helping your entire torso. This includes your sides and back. The next time you do a set of crunches or planks just know your posture is getting better and your core is also getting stronger.
Muscles in your lower back, pelvis, hips and abdomen are all being trained. Working out all of these muscles helps with balance and stability by creating an equilibrium in your body.
Reduce lower back pain
Implementing functional core training can improve your quality of life. It reduces lower back pain and also strengthens your spine. This leads to better posture, balance and overall movement.
Visit Wisniewski Chiropractic Omaha, NE
Set yourself up for success by doing functional core training exercises! To reduce pain or prevent injuries check out our services!
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Wisniewski, a chiropractor located in Omaha, NE! Contact us today to book your appointment.